As we know by now, tonight starts the latest chapter of the Flyers-Rangers rivalry. During the regular season, the two bitter competitors fought each other to a 2-2 tie in their season series. The home team won every time. If the Flyers want any chance to move on in the 2014 playoffs, they must win at Madison Square Garden.
Now we could talk for days about the history of these rivals and my prediction for the series (hint: it's not good), but I would rather tell you why it is important to hate the Rangers.
1. Pavel Brendl. When the Flyers traded Eric Lindros to the Rangers, they pawned off Brendl to the Flyers. Philadelphia bought the hype, but Brendl brought nothing. He would soon after be shipped to Carolina for Sami Kapinen.
2. 1994. If it weren't for Mark Messier, we would not have to hear player after player "guarantee" a win. Spoiler alert: guaranteeing a win rarely works and is kind of stupid.
3. Mike Richter. He grew up outside of Philadelphia. He went to Germantown Academy in Flourtown. He grew up a Flyer fan. He should have been a Flyer. He wasn't a Flyer. They turned our hometown boy against us. Darn you, New York!
4. Madison Square Garden. C'mon guys, it really isn't as cool as you're all making it out to be.
5. Sean Avery. No further comment needed.
So there you have it, friends, your five quick reasons to hate the New York Rangers. Comment below and tell us more reasons why you hate the Rangers!
Hal Greenblatt covers the Flyers for Flyerdelphia. Follow him on Twitter: @HMGreenblatt