Image courtesy of TheQNews.net
When it comes to news regarding the Philadelphia Flyers’ prospects, there are several intriguing headlines, as Samuel Morin’s QMJHL team just can’t lose and several prospects prepare for the postseason. Philadelphia’s prospect pool shrank this week, as Matt Mangene was dealt to the New York Islanders in the deal that brought Andrew MacDonald to the Flyers. Unfortunately in the AHL, the Adirondack Phantoms suffered a shellacking from the Providence Bruins this weekend.
Although Morin and the other Flyers’ prospects who play in the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL are almost to the postseason, a few prospects in the NCAA will endure the postseason this week. The trio of Shayne Gostisbehere, Nick Luukko, and Reece Willcox will be taking part in even more intense hockey come later this week.
Gostisbehere and his Union College teammates will be taking on Dartmouth in a best-of-three ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals. Union College will host all three of the games, as the teams will meet on March 14th, 15th, and 16th at Messa Rink.
Luukko and the University of Vermont Catamounts will have games on the same days as Union College, as they take on UMass Lowell. Unfortunately for Luukko and his teammates, they will be on the road for the entirety of the three-game series.
As for Willcox and Cornell University, the Big Red will have home-ice advantage for the ECAC Hockey Championship Quarterfinals against Clarkson University. Just like Gostisbehere and Luukko, Willcox and Cornell will host games on the 14th, 15th, and 16th at James Lynah Rink.
As for Mangene, he made his Bridgeport Sound Tigers’ debut this week, as he was minus-1 in the team’s 3-2 overtime loss to the St. John’s IceCaps on Saturday. Mangene is an undrafted right winger who joined the Adirondack Phantoms late in the 2011-2012 campaign. After splitting time between the Phantoms and Trenton Titans of the ECHL last season, Mangene had six points in 51 games with the Phantoms this season before being dealt to the New York Islanders’ organization.
After recently ending a lengthy eight-game losing streak, the Phantoms are in the midst of a three-game losing streak that most recently saw Adirondack drop a 9-3 decision to the Providence Bruins on Sunday. Seth Griffith had a four-goal game and five-point night for the Bruins, while Alexander Khokhlachev had four assists in a five-point evening as well. Tyler Randell had two goals and two assists for Providence in the monstrous win, as the Bruins were up 9-1 at one point in the third period. Both Derek Mathers and Steven Delisle recorded their first goals of the season in the rout.
Scott Laughton (Oshawa Generals, OHL) – 86 points (39 goals and 47 assists), plus-13, and 72 PIMs in 53 games.
- Taylor Leier (Portland Winterhawks, WHL) – 71 points (32 goals and 39 assists), plus-38, and 35 PIMs in 58 games.
- Jason Akeson (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 52 points (18 goals and 34 assists), minus-18, and 38 PIMs in 58 games.
- Tye McGinn (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 35 points (21 goals and 14 assists), minus-18, and 66 PIMs in 57 games.
- Tyrell Goulbourne (Kelowna Rockets, WHL) – 35 points (16 goals and 19 assists), plus-24, and 102 PIMs in 64 games.
- Michael Parks (University of North Dakota, NCAA) – 27 points (10 goals and 17 assists), plus-11, and 24 PIMs in 34 games.
Ben Holmstrom (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 26 points (10 goals and 16 assists), minus-7, and 125 PIMs in 57 games.
- Petr Straka (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 22 points (Seven goals and 15 assists), minus-4, and 18 PIMs in 48 games.
Andrew Johnston (Orlando Solar Bears, ECHL) – 19 points (Four goals and 15 assists) and 42 PIMs in 50 games.
- Nick Cousins (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 17 points (Seven goals and 10 assists), minus-8, and 25 PIMs in 56 games.
- Kyle Flanagan (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 13 points (Five goals and Eight assists), minus-7, and 10 PIMs in 45 games.
- Brandon Alderson (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 13 points (Seven goals and Six assists), minus-12, and 24 PIMs in 53 games.
Marcel Noebels (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Eight points (Two goals and Six assists), plus-1, and 20 PIMs in 37 games.
- Tyler Brown (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Seven points (Two goals and Five assists), plus-3, and 10 PIMs in 38 games.
- Derek Mathers (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – One goal, minus-4, and 79 PIMs in 28 games.
Petr Placek (Harvard University, NCAA) – Zero points, minus-1, and two PIMs in one game.
- Samuel Morin (Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL) – 30 points (Seven goals and 23 assists), plus-12, and 112 PIMs in 52 games.
- Shayne Gostisbehere (Union College, NCAA) – 26 points (Eight goals and 18 assists), plus-19, and 18 PIMs in 34 games.
- Brandon Manning (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 25 points (Six goals and 19 assists), minus-16, and 210 PIMs in 58 games.
- Mark Alt (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 18 points (Three goals and 15 assists), minus-11, and 23 PIMs in 57 games.
- Terrance Amorosa (Sioux City Musketeers, USHL) – Nine points (Two goals and Seven assists), plus-14, and 10 PIMs in 41 games.
- Robert Hagg (MODO HK and MODO J20) – Nine points (One goal and Eight assists), plus-1, and 51 PIMs in 52 games.
- Oliver Lauridsen (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Nine points (One goal and Eight assists), plus-2, and 137 PIMs in 57 games.
- Maxim Lamarche (Adirondack Phantoms and Elmira Jackals) – Eight points (Three goals and Five assists) and 33 PIMs in 52 games.
- Nick Luukko (University of Vermont, NCAA) – Seven points (Three goals and Four assists) and 24 PIMs in 33 games.
- Tyler Hostetter (Wichita Thunder, CHL) – Six points (Two goals and Four assists), minus-1, and 15 PIMs in 19 games.
- Reece Willcox (Cornell University, NCAA) – Six points (Two goals and Four assists), plus-3, and six PIMs in 28 games.
- Fredric Larsson (Tri-City Storm and Youngstown Phantoms) – Six points (One goal and Five assists), minus-8, and 79 PIMs in 40 games.
- Cullen Eddy (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Four points (One goal and Three assists), plus-4, and 32 PIMs in 29 games.
- David Drake (Des Moines Buccaneers, USHL) – Four assists, minus-13, and 22 PIMs in 42 games.
- Marc-Andre Bourdon (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Three assists, minus-2, and 12 PIMs in seven games.
- Valeri Vasiliev (Spartak Moscow, KHL) – Three assists, minus-9, and 14 PIMs in 36 games.
- Matt Konan (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Two assists, minus-7, and 22 PIMs in 26 games.
- Jakub Kovar (Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, KHL) – 20-18-10, .931 save percentage, and 2.01 GAA.
- Anthony Stolarz (London Knights, OHL) – 23-5-2, .925 save percentage, and 2.56 GAA.
Cal Heeter (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 15-19-0, .916 save percentage, and 2.48 GAA.
Merrick Madsen (Minot Minotauros, NAHL) – 8-14-0, .906 save percentage, and 2.67 GAA.